Wednesday, May 14, 2014

MUSIC REVIEW OF THE DAY: MARTA PACEK - VOODOO DOLLS AND FALSE ALARMS

From Australia, but also based in Ontario the last few years, Pacek certainly sounds at home with troubadour/alt-country sounds from these parts.  A fine songwriter and singer, her tales are touched with sadness but full of strength, and the track "A Girl Gets By" could be the theme here.  On All I Need, she defiantly announces, "I don't need another lover to tell me that I'm beautiful," later explaining what she needs is someone to "learn the song inside my heart, and sing it to me when I forget."  With a bit of a beat and a lot of honey, she fits in the Shawn Colvin sound.

Speaking of beats, producer Brad Albetta (Martha Wainwright, Teddy Thompson) has taken her a bit out of the country comforts sound on selected cuts, adding subtle touches such as programmed beats, replacing bass with cello, or mysterioso lead guitar from Hamilton's Frank Koren.  Things never get too carried away though, with the cut Favourite Thing straight country, and Pass Me Over acoustic confessional folk.  Her fine voice will capture you right away, and she has the songs to match up with the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment